hoarse radish

what'ssmallredandwhispers?

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Robert Bechtle on the racks

"Watsonville Olympia," 1977. Painting by Robert Bechtle

Robert Bechtle is a photorealist born and raised in San Francisco. Although I love all of his work, this one is my favorite. I saw it first in the Tate Modern I think and was absolutely captivated. The woman is just so real (and so '70s) - there is no other way to put it. I was lucky enough to see the work again at the SFMOMA, this time in its storage racks located in the basement. It hung on a crowded, pull-out shelf next to a Jasper Johns and a Phillip Guston and seeing it in that setting was more enchanting, more special than seeing it on the museum floor. I also recently found out that Bechtle exhibited at the SFMOMA Artists Gallery, where I now work!

Check out this great video of Bechtle doing his thang: http://www.sfmoma.org/multimedia/videos/229

No comments:

Post a Comment

What does the boss say?

Like what you're listening to? All posted MP3s are for evaluation purposes only. Go and buy it in the store you cheeky beggar. If you are the owner of music files or pictures featured on this site and would like them removed, contact us and we will gladly do so.

Contributors